Many pet owners are faced with the challenge of cleaning up a mess (or a special surprise) from their adored pet. This can be frustrating to say the least. But alas there are methods and substances that can rid the odor acquainted with these types of accidents, and remove the carpet stains entirely.
How to remove a cat urine smell from carpet
- Make a paste from baking soda and water and apply to the stain.
- Apply distilled white vinegar to the stain, enough to cover the area.
- Blot with a towel.
- Repeat steps 1-3 one or two times, but not more than that.
- Rinse with water and dry with a towel and hairdryer. Your carpet may smell like vinegar for a few days, but eventually, both the urine and the vinegar smell will disappear.
How to remove dog urine smell from carpet
- Apply enough cornstarch to cover the stain and let sit for half an hour.
- Rinse with water and blot with a towel.
How to remove urine stains from carpet Method #1
- Blot with towel to remove excess liquid. If you have a wet vac, you can also use it at this point to remove even more liquid.
- Mix ¼ tsp dishwashing liquid (such as Dawn) with 1 cup warm water. Do not use dishwasher detergent, which may contain bleach and lanolin.
- Spray the mixture onto the stain using a spray bottle. If you do not have a spray bottle, apply using a towel or sponge.
- Blot with a towel or use the wet vac to remove liquid.
- Rinse the area with warm water.
- Repeat steps 1-5 to remove as much of the stain as possible.
- Once the stain has stopped responding to the above steps, apply a mixture of 2 tbsp ammonia and 1 cup water. Rinse, blot, and repeat until the stain is gone.
How to remove urine stains from carpet Method #2
- Blot with a towel to remove excess liquid. If you have a wet vac, you can also use it at this point to remove even more liquid.
- Combine equal parts white distilled vinegar and water in generous quantities.
- Apply the mixture to the stain and scrub aggressively with a brush so that the mixture is worked deep into the carpet.
- Blot using a towel.
- When the area has dried, sprinkle with baking soda.
- Mix 1/2 cup three percent hydrogen peroxide and 1 tsp dishwashing liquid. Rub the mixture into the stain using the brush.
- Allow to dry, then vacuum.
How to remove feces stains from carpet
- Using a baby wipe or damp paper towel, pinch any lingering pieces from the carpet fibers.
- Apply Bac-Out or a similar product to kill bacteria. Spray until wet and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Blot the stain with a towel. Scrubbing is okay in this instance.
- Optional last step: dilute a small amount of laundry detergent with warm water and apply to the area. Allow to dry.