COIT’s Guide to Removing Urine Stains
Among the hustle and bustle of your daily life, keeping your house clean is no easy task. Tidying up is one thing, but stain removal? Now that requires a bit more work, depending on the type of stain and the type of surface you’re working with.
Removing Urine Stains
Whether you’re potty training a toddler or you have dogs or cats at home, removing urine stains isn’t the most pleasant thing in the world to do, right? Nevertheless, accidents involving urine require quick and effective clean up.
With COIT’s guide to removing urine stains, we’ll help you get your carpets, mattresses, and upholstery back in shape.
Remember to always do a spot removal test on a portion of carpet or upholstery that is normally not visible.
What is Urine Made Of?
We all know urine stains are far from appealing. Both the stain itself and the odor it produces are certainly not shy about sticking around. But why is removing urine stains and odors so difficult?
By definition, urine is actually a waste product that both humans and animals expel. It’s made of many components, from chemicals, to blood cells, to other forms of waste.
Urine is usually around 95% water, with the other 5% varying based on the person or animal’s consumption. Proteins, uric acid, salts, minerals, and ammonia can all be found in urine, to varying degrees.
Types of Urine Stains
The most common types of urine stains occur on the following surfaces:
- Urine stains from carpet
- Urine stains on upholstery
- Urine stains from mattresses
- Urine stains on clothing
Each stain type requires a different removal process for do-it-yourself removal. Below, check out COIT’s step-by-step guide to help you get your home fresh and clean, without too much hassle.
Types of Upholstery
Before you try to remove a stain from upholstery, it’s important to know with what kind of material you’re working. There are eight different types of fibers in upholstery that contain different properties:
In the 1800s, upholstery looked different than it does today. Back then, upholstery was actually made of horse, hog, and cow hair, with hay and straw used for the stuffing. The industry has since turned to using more synthetic materials, like some of the ones listed above. Cushions, for example, are made of a high-density foam core, which helps them keep their shape.
If your pet at home leaves you a surprise urine stain on your favorite couch or chair, have no fear – there is a way to remove it. And the faster you act, the better!
- Blot the urine stain using a cloth. Be careful not to spread the stain onto other parts of the furniture.
- Mix one tablespoon of dishwashing liquid with two cups of cold water in a small bowl. Add one tablespoon of vinegar to the solution and gently stir.
- Dip a clean white cloth into the solution. Gently sponge the urine stain, working from the inside to the outside of the stain.
- Using a dry cloth (with no solution), gently blot the affected area until it’s dry.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the urine stain is no longer visible.
- If the urine stain is still visible after repeating these steps, apply a few drops of 3% hydrogen peroxide to the stain using an eyedropper. You can follow by applying a few drops of ammonia to the stain as well.
- Using a clean cloth, dab the area with cold water until the chemicals are removed.
If this household procedure for removing urine stains doesn’t do the trick, call COIT Upholstery Cleaning Services to learn more about our professional cleaning treatments.
Remember to always do a spot removal test on a portion of carpet or upholstery that is normally not visible. These are suggested treatments only and COIT can't be held accountable for any damage sustained by use of the treatments in this spot removal guide.